- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tbls. Balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cook the onions in a bit of olive oil over medium heat until translucent, adding minced garlic halfway through.
- Add remaining ingredients, including the juice from the tomatoes and a little of the adobo sauce that the chipotle peppers are packed in.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The sauce is ready at that point, but can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours if necessary. Heat before serving, either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If you want a more protein-packed sauce, add a can of rinsed black beans as you simmer. This sauce is a versitile topping, and is perfect with grilled chicken or pork.