- 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium summer squash, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 20 oz jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 box ready-made pie crust (2 per box)
- Preheat oven to 400º and brought the pie crusts to room temperature,
- Put first crust in a deep dish pie plate and cover the bottom of the crust with shredded mozzarella.
- Heat olive oil in large saute pan then add onions, mushrooms, garlic, and squash.
- Cook over medium heat until softened, 8 – 10 minutes. I had a bit of good red wine left over from the night before and added that, too. This is completely optional…but adds a very nice flavor and depth.
- To the softened veggies, add the marinara sauce and let that simmer for about 15 minutes on a low heat.
- Let the sauce mixture cool a while before adding it to the crust covered with the mozzarella.
- Before adding the top crust, sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the filling.
- Finished constructing the pie with the second crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, maybe with some sauce bubbling in a couple of places where it escapes the bounds of the pie crust.
I would definitely advocate for a pie guard, like the one you see under the pie above or a cookie sheet to protect your oven.