- 8 cups cauliflower florets (1 head) I used more, almost two heads
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt I used Maine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted Cabot butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream I used Half & Half
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese I used Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar. I also added about 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese for a little kick.
- Next time I’m going to add a bit of diced pancetta for a flavor and texture boost.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Toss florets in oil on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and lightly browned, about 20 – 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven and reduce heat to 350º.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for one minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, two to four minutes. Whisk in cream and cook for five minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in salt and pepper and all but two tsp. of cheese. Stir over medium-low heat.
- Place cauliflower in an 8 x 8 glass baking dish or four 10-oz. ramekins. Pour cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until sauce is bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.