- 1/2 cup butter – room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2cups sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Mix cayenne pepper and salt with flour.
- Cream butter and add to flour mixture.
- Add cheese and, with clean hands, mix to form dough.
- Roll dough into balls (grape-sized for cocktail cookies, larger for soups and salads) and flatten.
- Place on a non-stick cookie sheet and cook for 15 minutes or until golden. Cookies will be bitter if overcooked.
You can use any kind of cheddar you prefer. For this batch I used half Cabot Clothbound and half Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Jalapeno Cheddar for a little extra kick. Let you imagination be your guide.