Prep Time: 30 Min | Cook Time: 45 Min | Yields: 4 Servings
- 36″ flour tortillas, 1 cut in half
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Jalepeno Cheddar)
- 1/2 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
First, make the Adobo Salsa, which you can do ahead of time, up to 24 hours before you are going to serve it.
- Preheat over to 350º.
- Arrange tortillas in a 10″ deep dish pie plate as pictured.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and milk together, adding chiles and spices.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese on the tortillas.Pour half the egg mixture over the cheese. Add 1/3 more cheese, then the remainder of the egg mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Cook for 30 – 45 minutes, until the tortilla crust is browned and the egg mixture is golden and set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes — it will deflate a bit — before serving. Heat the Adobo Salsa, cut pie slices and top with the warm sauce.
This dish is the delightful spawn of a French quiche and the classic Mexican breakfast favorite. It’s so delicious, with the creamy egg and cheese filling, the light tortilla crust, and the heat and flavor of the salsa. The best thing about it is that it tastes even better if you make it the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours before cooking. That makes it a perfect brunch dish. Make it ahead of time and enjoy the party yourself. In addition to the heated salsa, you can garnish the Rancheroos with cool sour cream or guacamole.