- 4 oz diced pancetta or 5 strips thick cut bacon
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 32. oz bag frozen shredded potatoes – thawed
- 2 cups Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar – shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbls dried mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Horseradish Garlic Sour Cream
- 1 large head garlic
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 2 tbls horseradish from a jar
- 8 oz sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cook pancetta or bacon until crisp and drain.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of of pancetta or bacon grease and cook diced onion until translucent.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and spread half the shredded potatoes.
- Spread diced pancetta or crumbled bacon and diced onions evenly over potatoes.
- Spread one cup of cheese over this mixture.
- Add remaining potatoes.
- Mix eggs, sour cream, mustard, salt, pepper, and milk thoroughly and pour over the potato mixture.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and bake for 30 – 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with Horseradish Sour Cream. (Recipe below.)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350º.
- Cut the top off the garlic head, exposing all cloves.
- Place on a square of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap the garlic head in the foil and roast for about an hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Squeeze the soft, roasted cloves into a mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add sour cream and horseradish and mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Serve with Potatoes Danforth.